Captain Brook Saves The Day

Dinnington Town 1-1 Retford United

After Saturday’s victory against Newark, this game was right round the corner. Our second game in the Chairman’s Cup was never going to be an easy one. We played the first game of the 19/20 season away at Dinnington and we suffered a 3-0 loss. They’re a team that plays very well at home, Last night was no different.

Dinnington had the first big chance when a free-kick from the edge of the box was hit very well. If it wasn’t for Tom Crosby they would’ve had an early lead. Adam Daughtrey caused problems down the right hand side for Dinnington all night, He was nearly through on goal in the 13th minute after a great diagonal ball from Kane, unfortunately the ball bobbled out of play. Danny Abdulla was doing a fantastic job at slotting in at centre back with Stuart Ludlum unavailable, he looked like a natural centre back.

On the 25th minute Mark West went down injured and sadly had to come off. It’s the ankle injury that keeps bothering him. We wish Mark a speedy recovery and hope he will be back soon. Brandon Ashmore came on to replace him. The breakthrough came on the 30th minute. The winger for Dinnington shot from range and it went straight into the top right corner, absolutely nothing Crosby could do. The Badgers gained some momentum at the end of the half but couldn’t find that chance meaning at the break they were behind 1-0.

A big performance was needed in the second half. After scoring, Dinnington sat back and tried to hit us on the counter attack whenever possible. At least 80% of the second half was played in Dinnington’s half as the Badgers dominated possession and pinned the opposition back. But Dinnington were defending very well. Cross after cross came in but Dinnington won everything in the air. The Badgers changed their shape taking off Kosi Nwobi who was very impressive on his first senior start,  Luke Smith came on and Abdulla moved into midfield so that we could facilitate his creative abilities. 

In the 60th minute Mason Barlow swung in an inch perfect corner which was met with Tom Brook’s head, the keeper was there to meet it. A few minutes later Ashmore got a shot off but once again the opposition keeper made the save. Dinnington broke out and was on the counter, however Brandon Kane was there and made a perfect tackle to put it out for a throw. In the 77th minute Alex Bennett replaced Igor Mlynarski as he picked up a knock. In the 78th minute the Badgers finally got the equaliser as the ball landed at the  Captain’s feet in the box. Tom Brook smashed it into the back of the net. 

With eight minutes left to go Dinnington should’ve got their second as the forward had a free header at the back post, he must have misjudged it as it went wide. A minute later that same forward was sent off for violent conduct. The Badgers were on the front foot for the final few minutes but couldn’t get a winner. Meaning the points were shared. Not a bad result as it is a hard place to get all three. 4 points from two games in the Chairman’s Cup so far is impressive. Brandon Kane was awarded Man of the Match for his dominant display in Midfield. Our next game is away at Newark Town on Saturday 8th May. 

“Up the Badgers”